Monday, July 27, 2009

Blog7

Blog 7

Okay, I’m not saving the best for last. I just got back from having a 70 minute Chinese Foot Massage and I’m in heaven. Cost 140 Yuan about $20 American Dollars. I am so relaxed. We are leaving Xian tomorrow morning to Beijing. I do like this city.

Earlier in the day, after breakfast, we went to a Lacquer ware Factory. Didn’t buy any furniture although I took a picture of a piece of furniture that would make a great table for a large set TV. I liked the design, but I’m not interested in buying any furniture. I downsized when I moved from New York and don’t want to start collecting again.

I did purchase a jade pendant for my grandson. I think it is very unusual and I hope that he and his mother like it. The carving is supposed to represent a healthy life and as he wears a modern day magnetic resistor necklace, I thought this might complement it—something old and something modern. The one thing my grandson asked for me to bring back from this trip is metal bottle caps for his collection. I have some people on this tour helping me find them. They are scarce, but I have a couple. I hope I’m not stopped by customs and have to explain this unusual request.

After the Lacquer ware Factory we went to view the small Pagoda. I was more fascinated by the little children and took pictures of them.

We had lunch at a Restaurant in a first class hotel. Again, service was many dishes on a large glass lazy Susan. I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but we usually sit at round tables accommodating eight people. We often shift around so we sit next to other people.
Often there are over 15 dishes served on the lazy Susan and we have small plates, a small soup bowl, chopsticks and a glass. The napkins sometimes are smaller than cocktail napkins, other times; large dinner napkins that are tucked under the dish and you leave the napkin tucked in and just lift the edge to wipe your face and hands. Well, there are times that the Lazy Susan gets out of hand as it goes around and people don’t wait for others to finish serving themselves before they turn it to get to the next dish. In order to be fair, I asked everyone if they were familiar with ER? When they responded, “Yes,” I reminded them that when someone was going to be paddled the doctor says “Charge.” before he paddles them. I suggested we use the same method. When we want to turn the lazy Susan, we now say, “Charge.” This is working out very well and everyone is now being polite. It is my communist manifesto. (lol)

Either I’m getting more used to the bland Chinese food, or it is getting tastier. Today’s meal was very good. Did you know that the Chinese here end their meals with watermelon? I’ve had more watermelon in the last week than I’ve had in years—but it is refreshing. Unfortunately, most of us still are craving chocolate.

After we left the restaurant we went on a City Tour of the Old Muslim Area and Great Mosque. The Mosque looks more like an old Pagoda. We walked through the Muslim market with its different foods. It was interesting. I for to mention that at last night’s Tang Dynasty Show with Dinner, sitting at the table next to us were 4 women wearing burkas which totally covered their faces except for the eyes. It was fascinating to watch as they carefully lifted the Burka flap each time they took a mouthful of food. I would have loved to get a photo, but there was no way to take a picture discreetly.

Then we returned to our hotel at 2:30 and left for the foot massage at 3:30. Ah, what more can one say when one is so relaxed.

It is not 6:15. Dinner is on our own, but I’m not hungry. Been eating much too much.

I will spend the evening repacking and watching the MADMEN Netflix DVD’s I brought along.

Internet is free in Xian. It was inexpensive in Shanghai. I have no idea whether it is available as easily in Beijing.

That’s it for now. I’m leaving for the Airport at 8:30 tomorrow morning for Beijing.

I originally thought I would take BART when I got back to SFO, but I think I’ll be carrying too much to shlepp it.

No comments:

Post a Comment